You Are Here: home » funny stories » marriage » cascading events
Green garden grass snakes can be dangerous.
Yes, grass snakes, not just rattlesnakes.
A couple in Sweetwater, Texas had a lot of potted plants, and during a recent cold spell,
the wife was bringing a lot of them indoors to protect them from a possible freeze.
It turned out that a little green garden grass snake was hidden in one of the plants and
when it had warmed up, it slithered out and the wife saw it go under the sofa. She let out
a very loud scream.
The husband, who was taking a shower, ran out into the living room naked to see what the
She told him there was a snake under the sofa. He got down on the floor on his hands and
knees to look for it. About that time the family dog came and cold nosed him on the rear.
He thought the snake had bitten him and he fainted.
His wife thought he had a heart attack, so she called an ambulance. The attendants rushed
in and loaded him on the stretcher and started carrying him out. About that time the snake
came out from under the sofa and one of the Emergency Medical Technicians saw it and
dropped his end of the stretcher.
That's when the man broke his leg and why he is still in the hospital.
The wife still had the problem of the snake in the
house, so she called on a neighbor man. He volunteered to capture the snake. He armed
himself with a rolled-up newspaper and began poking under the couch. Soon he decided it
was gone and told the woman, who sat down on the sofa in relief.
But in relaxing, her hand dangled in between the cushion where she felt the snake
wriggling around. She screamed and fainted, the snake rushed back under the sofa, and the
neighbor man, seeing her laying there passed out tried to use CPR to revive her.
The neighbor's wife, who had just returned from shopping at the grocery store, saw her
husband's mouth on the woman's mouth and slammed her husband on the back of the head with
a bag of canned goods, knocking him out and cutting his scalp to a point where it needed
An ambulance was again called when it was determined that the injury required
The noise woke the woman from her dead faint and she saw her neighbor lying on the floor
with his wife bending over him, so she assumed he had been bitten by the snake. She went
to the kitchen, brought back a small bottle of whiskey, and began pouring it down the
By now the police had arrived. They saw the unconscious man, smelled the whiskey, and
assumed that a drunken fight had occurred. They were about to arrest them all, when the
two women tried to explain how it all happened over a little green snake.
The ambulance arrived and took away the neighbor and his sobbing wife.
Just then the little snake crawled out from under the couch. One of the policemen drew his
gun and fired at it. He missed the snake and hit the leg of the end table that was on one
side of the sofa. The table fell over and the lamp on it shattered and as the bulb broke,
it started a fire in the drapes.
Another policeman tried to beat out the flames and fell through the window into the yard
on top of the family dog. The startled dog jumped up and raced out into the street, where
an oncoming car swerved to avoid it and smashed into the parked police car and set it on
Meanwhile, the burning drapes had spread to the walls and the entire house was blazing.
Neighbors had called the fire department and the arriving fire truck had started raising
his ladder when they were halfway down the street. The rising ladder tore out the overhead
wires and pulled out the electricity and disconnected telephones in a ten-square city
Both men were discharged from the hospital. The house was rebuilt. The police acquired a
new car, and all was right with the world.
About a year later the original couple were watching TV and the weatherman announced a
cold snap for that night. The husband asked his wife if she thought they should bring in
their plants for the night.
She shot him.
(The moral of this story is don't panic when you see a little garden snake)
Comment or Share Your Own One Liner