You Are Here: home » one liners » engineers exam
Many folks up north think
that folks from the south are not so bright. We would like any of the so-called
smart-aleck Yankees to take this exam administered by the University of North Carolina
State Engineering Department and see if they can pass it.
1. What is the smallest limb diameter of a persimmon tree that will support a 10-pound
possum? Please show how you arrived at your answer.
2. Which of these cars will rust out the quickest when placed on blocks in your front
yard? A '65 Ford Fairlane, a '69 Chevrolet Chevelle, or a'64 Pontiac GTO.
3. If your uncle builds a still that operates at a capacity of 20 gallons of shine per
hour, how many car radiators are required to condense the product?
4. A woodcutter has a chainsaw that operates at 2700 RPM. The density of the pine trees in
the plot to be harvested is 470 per acre. The plot is 2.3 acres in size. The average tree
diameter is 14 inches. How many Budweisers will be drunk before the trees are cut down?
5. If every old refrigerator in the state vented a charge of R-12 simultaneously, what
would be the percentage decrease in the ozone layer?
6. A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pine on 24-inch centers with a field rock
foundation. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is 16 feet. The porch floor is 1-inch
rough sawn pine. When the porch collapses, how many hound dogs will be killed?
7. A man owns a house and 3.7 acres of land in a hollow with an average slope of 15%. The
man has five children. Can each of his grown children place a mobile home on the man's
land and still have enough property for their electric appliances to sit on the front
8. A 2-ton truck is overloaded and proceeding 900 yards down a steep slope on a secondary
road at 45 MPH. The brakes fail. Given average traffic conditions on secondary roads, what
is the probability that it will strike a vehicle with a muffler?
9. A coal mine operates a NFPA Class 1, Division 2 Hazardous Area. The mine employs 120
miners per shift. A gas warning is issued at the beginning of the 3rd shift. How many
cartons of unfiltered Camels will be smoked during the shift?
10. At a reduction in the gene pool variability rate of 7.5% per generation, how long will
it take a town that has been bypassed by the Interstate to breed a country-western singer?
Comment or Share Your Own One Liner